Here you find some resources and links from my presentation „How to build awesome products – Product Discovery and Design Thinking at Corporate Scale“ from MobX Berlin (2016), Design Shapes (2018) and World Usability Congress (2018).
Images and charts
— Daniel Neuberger (@danielneuberger) September 25, 2014
OTTO’s 13 principles for a successful product discovery
- Fall in love with the problem not with the solution.
- Put the customer in the center of everything you do.
- Gather all relevant perspectives.
- Create mutual understanding of the problem.
- Create mutual understanding of the goals and alignment.
- Be responsible for the whole product and the whole user experience.
- Be open for unexpected outcomes. But stay focused on solving the identified core problem.
- Reserve enough time for gathering knowledge, validation and iteration. But try to deliver value to the customer as fast as passible.
- Don’t start building the „Eierlegende Wollmilchsau“. Don’t stop at the MVP.
- Iterate! Iterate! Iterate!
- Don’t throw your discovery results „over the wall“. Integrate your engineers into the discovery process and support them during delivery.
- Focus on outcomes. Not on output.
- Be courageous.
OTTO’s user centered product development process (in German)
Related articles on this blog (in German)
- Product Discovery – aber bitte richtig
- Der perfekte Product Design Sprint – die besten Methoden für kompakte 5 Tage (Artikelserie)
- Continuous Discovery in agiler Produktentwicklung (Dual-Track SCRUM)
- Product Discovery im Scrum-Alltag
- Digitale Innovationen erschaffen – Worauf kommt es an?
- Marty Cagan – Product discovery
- Marty Cagan – Discovery vs. delivery
- Jared Spool – Shh! Don’t Tell Them There’s No Magic In Design Thinking
- Jolie Zhou – Building products
- Rian van der Merve – Usable yet Useless: Why Every Business Needs Product Discovery
- Dan Brown – Beyond utility: Re-discovering product discovery
- Compendium of creative problem solving methods
- SAP – Introduction to Design Thinking
- IBM – Design Thinking Field Guide